Ten Things You Need To Know Before Hiring A Remodeling Contractor

Make sure your Concrete Contractor Resida CA is properly licensed. In the State of Delaware, all contractors MUST be either certified by the State (if they have a statewide license), or registered with the State (if they have a countywide license). Anyone can say they are licensed. Make the contractor prove it by either showing you the license or giving you a copy of it. Remember to check the expiration date, and the county if It’s a countywide license. Being licensed is the law. If a contractor cannot produce a valid license, DON’T HIRE HIM!

If you live in a townhouse, villa, or high rise condominium building with four or more
units, only a Building Contractor or General Contractor are permitted to perform remodeling work. Do not hire a Residential Contractor; he would be operating outside of his license. Furthermore, hire a specialty contractor (trim, carpentry, drywall, glazing, aluminum, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, roofing, etc.) to do only the type of work the license specifies.

If you have any questions or doubts, call the Delaware Department of Business and Professional Regulation, or the New Castle County Construction Industry licensing board.

2. Do you carry general liability insurance? Make sure your contractor carries general liability insurance. This type of insurance protects your property in case of damage caused by the contractor and/or his employees. The insurance company will pay for the cost of replacing and/or repairing any damage that occurs.

Anyone can say they are insured. Make the contractor prove it by having their insurance company FAX or mail to you a certified copy of his insurance with you named as the certificate holder.

3. Will you provide me with a written lien waiver? Your contractor should provide you with a written lien waiver at the end of the job. This is a legal document, which says you the homeowner have paid the contractor in full for the services rendered and the contractor waives his right to place a mechanic’s lien on your property. If during the course of construction you receive any Notice to Owner documents from material suppliers or sub-contractors, it would be prudent to ask the contractor for a Final Release of Lien from each one prior to paying the contractor his final draw. This protects you in case the contractor doesn’t pay his material suppliers or sub¬contractors after you have paid him in full.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *